Silicon Valley and Politics
Recently, I have noticed Silicon Valley get more involved (or at least louder) in political issues.
The problem is that Washington D.C. is 3,000 miles away from Silicon Valley… away from technology… away from Google and the politicians don’t fully understand the incredible impact that the ecosystem of entrepreneurs and investors have on the economy and the American Society in general.
America needs a LOUD and POWERFUL politician willing to push forward the agenda of Silicon Valley. I’m not saying that there aren’t pro-valley people in government. Jared Polis is one but I am pretty sure that asking 100 people from Middle America, they would have no idea who he is.
We need somebody popular, controversial, relatable…. a Bill O’Reilly type figure that isn’t afraid to call Bullshit on politicians when they do things so ridiculous and obviously anti-innovation that people start to listen.
But the guys or girls from the valley that we need in the office refuse to do it… and for good reason. Things in D.C. are so inefficient, dirty, non-meritocratic (ie the opposite of Silicon Valley) that it would drive them crazy not being able to get anything done.
Whats the best way to fix these fiscal issues quickly? Let Silicon Valley govern itself (its taxes, fiscal regulations etc)… but since that won’t happen we need somebody really willing to fight for Valley principles.
Some things that the Gov’t should do NOW:
1) Pass the StartupVisa Act
2) Decrease Long Term Capital Gains taxes to 0% (that would really get investment going!)
3) Get Rid of Accredited Investor Regulations (If people can spend thousands of dollars on booze, gambling and lottery tickets, let them invest in startups that can help the world)
4) Increase Gov’t funding for innovative Startups
5) Offer College Loan Forgiveness Programs for people who start companies after graduation
6) Make Computer Science Classes Mandatory for all grade-school students.
Have any others? Please add to comments below!